Monday, November 30, 2009

celebration bread

For unknown reasons, Thanksgiving morning left me with some time on my hands. Plenty of prep work was done in advance; my mother-in-law made pecan pie and I finished my pumpkin tart and apple crisp on Wednesday. The side dishes were well on their way, so beyond the bird, my tasks were under control.

But you know me, I like a challenge.

Inspired by a co-worker, I decided to bake a nice loaf of bread. Even though I haven't eaten bread in several years, the process of kneading, watching the dough rise, thumping the loaf for the perfect hollow sound, and slicing the still slightly steaming bread brings me much satisfaction.

Challah.


This Jewish celebration bread made for a festive evening treat. Simple braiding added something special-- the recipe header told me that the braids represent truth, beauty, and purity. The loaf was crusty and light-- surprisingly so for not requiring a starter. I served it with local honey from our failed apple orchard trip.

Fresh bread is always worth the extra effort.-- especially when guests are anticipating turkey and cranberry sandwiches for days to come!

Recipe source: Peter Reinhart's The Breadbaker's Apprentice.

No comments:

Post a Comment